Discretionary effort is the difference between the added value an employee can bring to a task, versus the minimum effort required to get by or make do, and still receive a paycheck.
Each day, when an employee walks in the office door (or logs in remotely) and starts work, that employee makes a conscious decision on how hard they are going to work that day. This webinar gives you the power to improve daily touchpoints with direct reports and create a productive environment where they give you discretionary effort on a regular basis.
The principles in this webinar are based on the Ross Brandau Discretionary Leadership ModelTM. You'll uncover strategies on how to:
1. Create a workplace where individuals feel safe, not only physically but safe to surface the truth.
2. Build a workplace where employees want to come to work and are challenged and supported in their professional growth.
3. Assess and understand the strengths and limitations of individual personalities enabling you to better communicate on a personal basis.
4. Refine the process of rational alignment of all teams and employees when providing vision and direction.
Why should you Attend:
In your leadership position, could you use an edge to distinguish yourself from others and move your direct reports into action? This presentation will give you that needed edge.
The presentation is based on the book, How to Earn the Gift of Discretionary Effort and is a deep dive into a comprehensive approach to catapulting your leadership career and turning your employees into your competitive advantage in a difficult marketplace.
Earning the gift of discretionary effort is the distinguishing characteristic of 21st century leaders. You will learn strategies that get employees to bring their A-game to work every day.
Following the principles, you can move your employees from minimal effort to amazing contributions, resulting in increased profitability, superior customer service and economic sustainability for your company.
It takes a special kind of leader to achieve the environment of exceptional employee experience and workplace optimization where workers naturally give discretionary effort, not just give the stereotypical second mile.
This presentation teaches you how to be that special kind of leader, a charismatic leader, that gets much more than the second mile from all who work with you.
Areas Covered in the Session:
You will learn what discretionary effort is and how to distinguish discretionary effort in your employees.
Through the implementation of the Discretionary Effort Leadership Pyramid, you can create an environment where discretionary effort is given on a regular basis.
In this presentation attendees will:
- Define discretionary effort
- Recognize the difference between 20th century engagement programs and 21st century discretionary effort
- Contrast discretionary effort with going the extra mile
- Understand how discretionary effort leadership enhances productivity and innovation
- Learn how gratitude is an exceptional employee retention strategy
- Recognize the engagement value of human dignity
- Understand how concern for employee well-being is critical to employee/managers relationships
Implementing the principles that turn employees into your competitive advantage involves learning how to:
- Optimize work for the employee
- Enhance the employee experience
- Take advantage of employee gifts and talents
- Eliminate factors that cause disengagement
- Move employee from minimal effort to amazing contributions
- Retain your best and brightest in a tight labor market
- Move employees from a comfort zone of just getting a paycheck to giving contributions based on their capability
- Maintain integrity when things go wrong
- Enhance personal charisma
Register today and put yourself in an elite circle of achievers with this comprehensive and novel approach of 21st century leadership. You'll become the leader people CHOOSE to follow, not HAVE to follow because of your place on the organizational chart.
Who Will Benefit:
- ALL Managerial titles
- Vice Presidents
- Managers in:
- Finance & Accounting
- Team Leads
- Project Managers
- CEOs, CFOs, CXO, etc.
Karla Brandau is a thought leader in management and team building techniques. She trains managers to improve their relationship with the employees to earn their gift of discretionary effort. She specializes in personalities, communication skills, leadership principles.
She is the CEO of Workplace Power Institute and has educated mangers with her proven leadership principles in companies such as Motorola, Coca-Cola Enterprises, Panasonic, and BYD America.
She has a degree in education and is a Certified Speaking Professional, an earned designation given by National Speakers Association.
Karla’s book, How to Earn the Gift of Discretionary Effort, teaches managers how to be the leader people CHOOSE to follow, not have to follow because of their position on the organizational chart.